OBS virtual camera allows Zoom and Discord to recognize OBS video sources. This plugin was originally introduced by OBS Studio as a third-party plugin. However, it is now included in all OBS Studio versions.
This feature allows you to create a custom scene within OBS Studio using overlays, effects and other media. These scenes will be displayed during the video call. OBS Virtual Cam can be used for webinars, conferences and company presentations.
OBS Virtual Camera can connect to almost any video-calling software such as
OBS Virtual Camera: Setting up Scenes
You can create overlays in your live video using OBS Studio and SLOBS. You can also add animations, graphs, and emoji popups to your live video.
As we have already mentioned, OBS’s source box uses the layer system. Layer different options into your scene. If you wish to create an effect such as snow falling on the screen, for example. In the layer list, ensure that the snow media source is not below your camera source.
Use the + option to add any device that you use for a webcam. You have the option to choose from the list of sources that can be added to a scene. The video capture device option will be used to install the webcam. The preview screen will display the video. This is where you can change the size of your video.
You can add additional scenes to change what viewers see. You can add text to a scene by creating another one and then adding a text layer in the source box. You can adjust any layer you add to a scene to suit your needs.
Use a virtual green screen as a background
You can use a background for Zoom, Teams, or any other program that uses the same color sequence as a green screen to create a background behind your video. This will help you block out all the noise in the room, except you. This is often better than Zoom’s background removal feature.
OBS allows you to add an image to the green screen. You can also add the image to the virtual backdrop option within zoom. Next, add windows capture source in the OBS source menu, then select zoom.
In the OBS preview window, you’ll see your green screen and your video. Next, add a chromakey filter to your video source. Adjust the values as needed for your video. For a deeper tutorial, please visit this page.
Before you start
To get started, you will need to install the following free software. Although not required, some of these tools will help you expand your options for video sources.
- OBS Studio. OBS Studio is required to use the “OBS virtual cam” option in your IM or video conference software. You will also need to download the Streamlabs OBS and SLOBS Apps if you wish to use the “OBS camera” option.
- NDI Tools. NDI Tools are required to be installed on your computer if you want to capture the screen of another computer.
- OBS-NDI plugin. To receive the NDI signal from OBS, you will need to install it.
- VLC Media Player. Multi-video play.
(2021 Update) You don’t have to install a virtual cam plugin for OBS. It is already supported by the software.
Use OBS Virtual Camera in Skype (Video Source: File)
This section will show you an example of an OBS Skype virtual camera. As the source of the virtual camera, the example will use a video file. Follow these steps to share your movie, artwork, or other video files with your partner in Skype.
1. Open Skype and update to the latest version.
2. Install and Open OBS Studio. Add a new source to the “sources” panel and select “Media Source.”
3. Choose your video in the pop-up window “Properties”. If necessary, tick the “Loop” box. You can now see the video playing repeatedly in the OBS preview area.
4. Open Skype and go to “Settings”, “Calling”, “Advanced”, “Allow NDI Use”, enable it.
5. Go to the settings and select “Audio & video” for the “Camera”. You can now see the cover for the static image.
6. Return to OBS and click the “Start Virtual Camera” button in the “Controls” panel. You can now see the video in the Skype settings panel. Sometimes the video will be in a mirror effect but your partner will still see it in its normal direction.
7. Now, call someone and they’ll see the OBS video.
These are the steps to enable OBS virtual camera in Skype using a video file. This also works with Zoom, Microsoft Teams and Google Meet.
You may wish to play a set of videos via a Skype virtual cam in some cases. Next, we will need to select another video source. Follow these steps:
8. Start the VLC player and restart your OBS.
9. You can create a new scene or delete the “Media Source”, which you created in step 2.
10. Select the “VLC Video Source” option to add a source.
11. You can choose your video and add a directory in the pop-up window “Properties”.
You will then see a list (from your directory), playing as the source of the virtual camera.
- 4K Resolution,Better Details: With the same tiny size as OBSBOT Tiny, we integrated the best in class Sony 1/2.8” sensor into the OBSBOT Tiny 4k, now has more pixels than ever, present crystal-clear video even when zoomed-in.
- AI-Trackig With Auto-Framing: OBSBOT Tiny 4K comes with our Next-Gen enhanced artificial intelligence trackig algorithm enabling it to lock on a person, no matter where you go, OBSBOT Tiny 4K will always follow you smoothly and precisely.
- Magical Gesture Control: Control OBSBOT Tiny 4K with just two simple gestures. Right hand or left hand, always work all day long.
- Look Great in Any Lights: Not just 4K Ultra HD, with the HDR and AI auto exposure, OBSBOT Tiny 4K provides a professional look in any bad lightings. No more wasting time in setting lights.
- Sounds Like A Pro: The dual omnidirectional microphone system with noise-reduction picks up your voice clearly in the range of 3 meters, making communication easy and natural for you.
- Next-level Hardware – Make every move count with a blazing-fast processor and our highest-resolution display
- All-In-One Gaming – With backward compatibility, you can explore new titles and old favorites in the expansive Quest content library
- Immersive Entertainment – Get the best seat in the house to live concerts, groundbreaking films, exclusive events and more
- Easy Setup – Just open the box, set up with the smartphone app and jump into VR. No PC or console needed. Requires wireless internet access and the Oculus app (free download) to set up device
- Premium Display – Catch every detail with a stunning display that features 50% more pixels than the original Quest
- Ultimate Control – Redesigned Oculus Touch controllers transport your movements directly into VR with intuitive controls
- PC VR Compatible – Step into incredible Oculus Rift titles by connecting an Oculus Link cable to a compatible gaming PC. Oculus Link Cable sold separately
- 3D Cinematic Sound – Hear in all directions with built-in speakers that deliver cinematic 3D positional audio
- AUTO TRACKING: OBSBOT Me uses an advanced neural network to achieve AI tracking, it always stably and smoothly tracks the person in the center of the video frame. Go muse yourself whenever inspiration strikes.
- USE ANY APP YOU LIKE: Thanks to the built-in wide-angle camera and the AI image processsor, OBSBOT Me can finish all the tracking algorithms by itself and doesn’t require any extra App or Bluetooth connection. Just use any App you want. (No connection required between OBSBOT Me and the phone)
- SHOW YOUR LIFE FROM THE BEST ANGLE: OBSBOT Me equipped with a universal joint and rotatable holder, you can adjust the shooting angle as you wish, always showing your life from the best angle.
- PORTABLE AND EXTENDABLE: Ultimate flexibility in your palm. The size of 68*56*139mm can be fitted in your pocket effortlessly. Equipped a standard 1/4” interface that enables you to mount it to your tripod and adjust its angle and height to easily capture your desired results.
- BRUSHLESS MOTOR: With the brushless motor, OBSBOT Me gimbal has a higher starting speed, don’t worry that you will be out of the picture.
- 【Three-Level Adjustable Ring Fill Light】The built-in ring light provides lighting at three different levels and has touch controls for ease of use. You can achieve your ideal brightness level by adjusting the ring light dim light environments. Brighter than many other webcams with built-in lights, the light has a soft tone so that it doesn’t create a glare.
- 【60FPS 1080p Webcam with Auto Focus】The NexiGo FHD Webcam comes with high definition 1920 x 1080p resolution at up to 60 frames per second (fps) refresh rate, and our enhanced autofocus helps to capture videos that are as accurate and true-to-life as possible.
- 【USB A & C Webcam and Built-in Privacy Shutter】The NexiGo webcam works with USB A or USB C with included Adapter. NO additional driver required. The built-in privacy cover allows you to enjoy safe digital web life when not in use and prevent hackers from spying on you. It is perfect to provide privacy, security, and peace of mind to individuals, groups, organizations, companies, and governments.
- 【Built-in Microphone】The built-in microphone with noise-canceling technology reduces ambient noise to enhance the sound quality of your video. Even in noisy surroundings, you can capture just the sounds that you want.
- 【Widely Compatible】The NexiGo webcam is compatible with multiple operating systems. It uses a USB Type-A connection and comes with a USB Type-C adapter if a USB Type-A port is not available on your system. The webcam is compatible with Windows XP/7/8/10, Mac OS 10.6 or higher, Linux 2.6.24 or higher, Chrome OS 29.0.1547 or higher, Ubuntu Version 10.04 or higher.